[Xerte] About frameworkTemplate.fla

Tenney Julian Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 13:13:54 BST 2008

OK, I just wanted to know what sort of language to use in my response.

Taking apart the techDIS template and trying to change it to meet your needs is an interesting way of taking your first steps with the tool. It's quite an advanced piece. I'd stick to some simple prototypes to figure out the particular things you need to understand. Don't panic if this takes you a little while. Break down the problems into smaller ones.

The fla you sent won't open for me in Flash 8. Xerte is compiled for FP8 / AS2, so first of all make sure the swf you are trying to use is built with those settings.

It might help you to understand that the .rlo file is an .xml file. That .xml file is parsed by the Xerte engine to create the learning object. Each node in the xml file contains the data needed to instantiate classes. The class instances are all movieclips. For instance, a display icon in the xerte editor is really an xml node that loooks something like this:

<DIS name="graphic" id="img1" x="20" y="20" ...etc.../>

The engine reads through the xml file, node by node and creates the movieclips described in the xml. Each movieclip can be referred to with script, using the 'id' property you gave it in the xml file, and you can then accessit's properties / call it's methods. All icons have all the properties, methods and events that movieclips have, plus some extra ones. Each movieclip has a property called XMLElement which you can use to access the raw xml data used to instantiate the mc, and you can traverse the xml tree using the usual nextSibling / firstChild / childNodes[i] / parentNode properties.

So in the example above, in a script icon in Xerte, img1.XMLelement would be the xmlNode <DIS name="graphic" id="img1" x="20" y="20" ...etc.../>

The xml node of the page it belongs to would thus be

img1.XMLElement.parentNode;

The xml node of the framework it belongs to would be img1.XMLElement.parentNode.parentNode;

The number of pages on it would be img1.parentNode.parentNode.childNodes.length

You can use this knowledge to access the raw xml data for things like names, counts, etc.

Working directly with xml is not always convenient. Instead you can also refer to the methods and properties of the movieclips themselves. This is maybe what you find confusing. There are two hierarchies: an xml tree (the rlo file), and a hierarchy of nested movieclips (created from the rlo file).

Does this help?