[Xerte] Styling text entry fields and setting focus

Paul Swanson Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
Fri Jul 25 19:23:02 BST 2008

I'm building a login page, and I'm having trouble getting the Text Entry
fields to look and work the way I want them too.

I'm using a regular text entry response, but the text field does not
have a white background (page background color is a light blue). I've
tried using a script icon with the following:

pword.pw.background = true;
pword.pw.backgroundColor = 0xFF0000;
pword.pw.password = true;

Where pword is the interaction id, and pw is the rs property of the text
entry response. This is in an Event response attached to the same
Interaction as the text entry response. I'm using an event of onInit
with the icon set to pword, but have also tried setting it to pw. The
text entry field is displayed, but the background of the text field is
the same color as the stage, and text typed into the field is visible as
entered, not masked by the password property. I also want to set the
focus to the text entry fields, but setFocus() doesn't seem to have an
effect.

So how would I do this? It seems I would have to use a script icon after
the response has loaded, but I don't want the interactions to be
perpetual if I can avoid it. Do I use an event response like my above
does, or can I somehow have a setup script on the login page that sets
the styles before the text entry fields are set up?

 Paul Swanson
 Instructional Designer
 Harland Financial Solutions