[Xerte] Text to sound

Tenney Julian Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 09:05:00 GMT 2008

I didn't have you down as a potential hacker :-)

Unfortunately we have to live with the security issues and associated
workarounds. If you are getting prompted every time you load the page,
you can set the 'initialise and script activex controls not marked as
safe for scripting' setting to 'enable'. You won't be prompted. However,
any other page you hit will also be able to 'initialise and script
activex controls not marked as safe for scripting' without your
knowledge. ActiveX controls can be extremely powerful, gain access to
your system, read and write your files etc, so it's up to you whether
you want to allow this without your say so.

You might want to make the settings for local intranet zone to 'enable'
and the wider internet zone to 'prompt'. You probably trust the files on
your local intranet. You probably shouldn't trust the files on the
internet. If you host your files in your intranet zone testing etc, then
it will remove the prompt. Your users, however, may well be accessing
your files in the internet zone, so for them I think the only sensible
recommendation is for 'prompt'. If you recommend 'enable' and their
machines get turned into zombie servers working to bring down the free
world, then you'll probably get some complaints...