[Xerte] Asian Languages

Mark Tomlinson, AC&S Ltd mark.tomlinson at acns-group.com
Wed Apr 23 15:35:20 BST 2008

Thanks Thomas

Mark

:-)

  _____

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Koller Thomas
Sent: 23 April 2008 08:44
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: RE: [Xerte] Asian Languages

Hi Mark,

I did some tests with Mandarin and Japanese in Xerte a good while ago. I
can't remember that I came across any problems with those writing systems.
As you know, Xerte is based on Flash and Flash (at least from version 8
onwards) handles Eastern Asian languages quite well.

There's only one big caveat not directly related to Xerte: if your end users
don't have any Eastern Asian or comprehensive Unicode fonts (like
ARIALUNI.TTF) installed on their computer, they will only see rectangles
instead of Eastern Asian characters. If you want to make sure that your end
users see you Eastern Asian characters, you can embed the characters in the
Flash file but depending on the number of characters you have to embed this
may increase the file size considerably.

Last but not least there's a third way which we found out here at
Nottingham: if you just want to display the characters (without embedding),
i.e. users don't need the option to edit or copy text, then you can also
dynamically create an image file for each character with a server-side
script and send the image files to the Xerte file which then displays those
characters in the way intended. This is just a very short description, feel
free to ask if you want to have more info about this option.

Cheers,

Thomas

  _____