[Xerte] Asian Languages

Koller Thomas Thomas.Koller at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 08:43:56 BST 2008

Hi Mark,

I did some tests with Mandarin and Japanese in Xerte a good while ago. I
can't remember that I came across any problems with those writing
systems. As you know, Xerte is based on Flash and Flash (at least from
version 8 onwards) handles Eastern Asian languages quite well.

There's only one big caveat not directly related to Xerte: if your end
users don't have any Eastern Asian or comprehensive Unicode fonts (like
ARIALUNI.TTF) installed on their computer, they will only see rectangles
instead of Eastern Asian characters. If you want to make sure that your
end users see you Eastern Asian characters, you can embed the characters
in the Flash file but depending on the number of characters you have to
embed this may increase the file size considerably.

Last but not least there's a third way which we found out here at
Nottingham: if you just want to display the characters (without
embedding), i.e. users don't need the option to edit or copy text, then
you can also dynamically create an image file for each character with a
server-side script and send the image files to the Xerte file which then
displays those characters in the way intended. This is just a very short
description, feel free to ask if you want to have more info about this
option.

Cheers,

Thomas