[Xerte-dev] Quiz and Tree/Tracking Label

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 8 10:27:02 BST 2017

Hi,

We've had some comments from users saying they don't understand the 'A - Tree/Tracking label' string in the label field. I tend to agree this fails the FWS test. I don't have any problem with the functionality as such, I can see it's useful, but I think we need to change the string in the label field. 'A - Tree/Tracking label' is not intuitive, and I've had some 'huh?' emails from some reasonably adept users about it.

In the past we had 'question' and 'option', which led to the tree view like...

Question

-          Option

-          Option

-          Option
Question

-          Option

-          Option

-          Option
Etc

Having the ability to control how the tree looks is an improvement on this, although we now have the same situation (albeit editable) where you produce this:

Q - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label
Q - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label

-          A - Tree/Tracking label
etc

This in my view is worse than what we had before. People know what a 'question' and an 'option' are. They haven't the faintest idea what 'A - Tree/Tracking label' means, so I would favour taking it back to 'question' and 'option'.

Better would be if we could auto-increment the items as they are added so you get

Question1

-          Option1

-          Option2

-          Option3
Question2

-          Option1

-          Option2

-          Option3
etc

...but I don't think we have that functionality anywhere in the editor at present. If we added a property to the xwd to say <blah... ...increment="true"/> presumably it wouldn't be too difficult to add that functionality, and just add n to the end of the string based on a count of the children.

What do you think?

Julian

[cid:image001.png at 01D3288C.96109D00]