[Xerte-dev] Re: Browser caching and problems it causes with each update

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Sat Feb 20 22:57:22 GMT 2016

3 sounds good to me too.

John

Sent from Samsung tablet

Please send all enquiries to our shared Blended Learning inbox at hlsblt at gcu.ac.uk and one of the Learning Technologists will respond.

-------- Original message --------
From: Tom Reijnders <reijnders at tor.nl>
Date: 20/02/2016 12:18 (GMT+00:00)
To: For Xerte technical developers <xerte-dev at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: [Xerte-dev] Browser caching and problems it causes with each update

Hi,

I've had several instances where we had a sudden increase of support
calls after installing an update of XOT (i.e. from 3.0 to 3.1)

Most of those were due to caching issues. i.e. new modelfiles were used
against a previous cached version of xenith.js

There are several solutions to this:

1. At a timestamp in the url that loads xenth.js , ie
src="xenith.js?_=<?php echo $timestamp;?>" or similar

The drawback of course is that xenith.js (and similar files) are not
cached anymore, increasing the time needed to load an LO

2. Add a version to the filename of xenith.js, i.e. everytime something
changes in xenith.js, change the version.

This is the approach used by a lot of javascript libraries, cf. jQuery.
But it it's painfull, and errorprone (or we have to have a build process).

3. An interesting variation could be the combination of 1. and 2.

We have a version string maintained in the file version.txt in the root
folder of the installation. This file is automatically updated when
publishing zips for the community websites. We could add
?version='<contents of version.txt>' to all the files we want to reload
after a new release, such as xenith.js

Tests show that this works fine ans as expected. I would like to
implement 3.

Any objections, remarks, other solutions?

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.