[Xerte-dev] Marking up sections of text in editor

Fay Cross Fay.Cross at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 11:39:54 BST 2015

I'm working on some new page types that will involve highlighting different sections of text at different points. There are a few ways that we want the highlights to work, e.g. clicking on sections of the text to bring up more info (similar to hotspot image but with text), selecting a section of text to answer a question (similar to interactive diagram) and a slideshow style one where you click buttons to go through several highlights and present info about each section.

Making the page models will be fine but I can't work out the best way to get authors to mark up what text they want to be highlighted for each part of the page. It couldn't really work like the synched media pages where the text is broken up over nested pages as then you couldn't do things like highlight a whole paragraph with some info about it and then go within that to highlight a single sentence. Some kind of mark section (like in gap fill) could possibly work but would it be too fiddly to expect the author to add an id of some kind to the marked section?
Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks
Fay