[Xerte-dev] Re: A little help digging into Xerte's internals?

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Sat May 9 09:28:27 BST 2015

Hi Brad,

You are in the right place for both. For q1 I suspect that you are falling foul of browser caching; I'm making the assumption that you are definitely not using the Flash LO engine and it is the javascript one, ie xenith.js

What I often do after a page model change is navigate to the lo page of interest, look in the network tab of the browser console and find textVideo.html. Double click on it and it will open in its own tab - it wont display correctly or will show garbage but if you hit F5 or reload/refresh then it should update the cached copy and then refresh the LO tab. It should now use the newly downloaded copy. Doing it this way I find is quicker than having to clear the cache each time...

As for the LO pages data, it is all stored in the preview.xml file (and then in data.xml when published) within the relevant USER_FILES folder for that particular id. The cdata blocks are there to escape blocks that would invalidate the xml, such as < > etcSome of the text that is displayed on screen, especiallybin prompts or buttons etc in the LOs however comes from the language files. Use the network tab in console to watchbthe browser download the files the lo uses and you can double click them to examine their contents.

What is the string you are looking for? If it is a default one then github is also a good place to search. If its entered by yourself it will be in preview.xml somewhere...

John

Sent from Samsung tablet