[Xerte-dev] FW: GPL Code in GitHub

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 15:45:59 GMT 2015

Re: recent discussions on GPL code in the github, this is probably the most pertinent response... and this the most pertinent bit: "So to play safe - simply keep it outside the Apache code base at all."

I think Apereo would share this view. The whole reason to do Apache license is to make it super-crystal clear that this code is absolutely fine for whatever re-use you want to make of it, and GPL is definitely not even the merest inkling of a problem for you. That would be undermined if we had a repo with GPL code in it.

It's really a huge irony that the GPL means software isn't adopted, however, it is good that most developers understand this and don't use it.