[Xerte-dev] Invalid backend response. Data is not JSON.

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 12:05:33 BST 2015

Hi all

I'm posting here but have also posted to the issue reported by Brad I think
at https://github.com/thexerteproject/xerteonlinetoolkits/issues/222

I've been testing some stuff on a localhost xampp installation on and off
over the last few days and again this morning. This is recent develop code
but not the very latest. I'm not sure what caused this but now when I try to
edit an existing or new LO and browser for media I get the following error:

Invalid backend response. Data is not JSON.

This happens regardless of account, browser, project etc and I've completely
shut down xampp, cleared session files and re-started but still the same
problem. I remember having similar problems in a much earlier test version
on the Techdis server where there was more than one install and liaising
with Tom but never resolving it then and in this local xampp instance
there's only a singe XOT install. It also inside a Moodle directory like the
Techdis server was but has been working fine until this problem arose this
morning and now even with auth_config set to guest or static effectively the
install is broken because it's not possible to browse for media. In this
case I can potentially just scrap and replace the install but I seem to
recall when I tried that on the Techdis server previously it didn't resolve
the problem and I'm worried about this happening on live installations.
There are plenty using Moodle authentication.

Any additional ideas re cause/solution?

This happens when the pop-up opens:

http://localhost/moodle/xerte/editor/elfinder/browse.php?type=media&lang=en

And the FF console shows 2 repeat errors:

Line 1339 toolbox.js

console.log('Browse file: ' + id + ': ' + key + ', ' +  name  + ', ' +
value);

Cheers