[Xerte-dev] Re: Xerte-dev Digest, Vol 39, Issue 3

Smith, Bradley brsmith at akamai.com
Thu Nov 6 18:19:30 GMT 2014

On Nov 6, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Tom Reijnders <reijnders at tor.nl> wrote:

> It is. I just verified that. The XML is not valid. And Notepad++ is just a text editor, not an xml validator.
>
> The system is not made for hand editing the xml files, but if you want to go that route please use an XML editor.

Alternately there are regular text editors that have xml/html modes that can make hand-editing xml a little easier. Personally I find that more pleasant than dealing with gui xml editors, but that’s just a matter of personal taste.

Most importantly, as others have said, if you do hand-edit xml, you definitely want a good xml validator. The ‘xmllint’ command-line tool comes with most Linux distributions and, I think, OSX, and you can get it for Windows too.

In addition to finding problems in your xml, you can run it with the —format option to make some xml files more readable by adding sane indentation, etc.

—Brad