[Xerte-dev] Re: Fancy it

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu May 1 13:55:26 BST 2014

There are all sorts of reason to avoid auto-updating exactly because there
isn't really a clear difference between core and some of the things people
want/need to customise. The most common but not only customisation often
required is themes and although there are ways to achieve that without
changing any core files it's a bit more complex than that especially as
we've had very different versions over time too.

I agree this could be desirable and worth planning for at some future point
but there are other customisations that I'm aware of which at the moment can
only be achieved by customisation of core files and not really a set list
that we could say exclude from auto updates as a pre-defined group. A simple
example is static.php and I know that could easily be part of a pre-defined
exclusion list but that's just a simple example.

So to achieve this I think there would need to be some fundamental changes
and/or the ability for an admin to easily control exclusions.