[Xerte-dev] sanpit example of non standard chars

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 16:27:11 BST 2014

Hi all

thought I should share this example of what was a non playing if not
corrupted LO from the sandpit.

The helpdesk had a report from a user that his LO wouldn't export and now
wouldn't play.

I checked the export first and sure enough it wouldn't export and then I
verified that it wouldn't play either even though all looked ok in the
editor.

So then I looked at the xml expecting it to be corrupt like we've had with
other examples previously but in this case both preview.xml and data.xml
were still complete. However I noticed two oddities shown in the following
screenshots:

1. US instead of fingerprint line 121

2. what should have neen an apostrophe line 116

I've attached a copy of the xml so hope this gets through.

Questions I asked along with answers:

1. Did you copy and paste text in from Word or another external source?

I did copy, but from Word and PowerPoint into Notepad so I could remove the
formatting, then pasted into the LO.

2. Did you re-import these LO's at any point?

No

3. Are you ok with the dev team looking at a copy of the xml from your LO to
try to identify the exact cause and future prevention?

Yes

I wonder if this would have ended up with a completely broken LO rather than
just one that wouldn't play or export and I should add that after removing
the UN directly from the xml and adding an apostrophe via the editor the LO
plays and exports again.

HTH