[Xerte-dev] Lost Data

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 15:59:25 GMT 2014

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same data loss we had here last week, and that was reported on the Xerte list yesterday. In both cases, the user reported 'lost pages'. Looking at the xml it was intact, with a closing </learningObject> tag: that's the first time I've ever seen data loss with a valid xml file left over (I would expect it to truncate at the point the file broke, and safety code should stop that then saving, right?)

Maybe it's just coincidence, but I'm a bit worried there might be a problem we don't know about causing data to get lost. In the case reported here, I don't suspect (highly) user error (it's always a possibility). In the case on the Xerte list I'm less certain. I've asked for more info, but none has been forthcoming.

Obviously we need to try and reproduce it if possible, or put in place some sort of safety mechanism. I did notice that both had some custom HTML going on in the code. Any ideas or insight?

Julian