[Xerte-dev] Re: New editor

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 10:51:40 BST 2014

The ability to hide pages or turn pages on and off in each of the templates would be very useful. Many people are used to doing this in tools like Moodle as well as more dynamic date/time based or interaction based conditional realease.

We can already do conditional release to some extent in the xot template by using the historic option and turning off some or all of the navigation on a particular page. I've done this in f2f training to 'release' the next pages/section/activities once everyone in the group is ready to move on.

I've also used this to effectively hide pages for remote access LO's e.g. set navigation to historic (or hide the table of contents icon via css if you want the usual linear navigation) and then hide the next button on the last page you want to show. Then move any pages you want to hide down the tree beneath that last page and back again when you want them to show.

Importing from other projects has always been something people ask for - again many are familiar with this from Moodle or PowerPoint etc

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some testing of the new editor and liaising with Tom and John and we discussed where best to list issues as well as wish list items and suggestions etc. We concluded that github was probably the best place but we need to use the tagging features there to categories and keep each task itemised rather than all mixed up  in longer descriptions. Perhaps we use this kind of discussion format on the dev list in combination with itemisation on github?

I've been making local notes for the moment (issues, wish list, ideas etc) and plan to find some time to dedicate in September. We could kick start that before and after the online meeting?

Cheers

Ron