[Xerte-dev] Re: Fwd: Two LDAPs

Thomas Rochford (Jiscadvance) thomas.rochford at jiscadvance.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 10:24:48 GMT 2013

Hi Everyone,

It's going to be very difficult to find an Institution to test this with
Active Directory, because not many Colleges are going to want the risk of
disrupting services, especially where they have got some sort of workaround.
The nearest to me is Easton College just outside Norwich where I know they
were having problems I will contact them and ask if they still have two
domains, and if so whether they would be prepared to test the fix, probably
on a temporary server. Please can someone let me have a download URL for a
version of XoT if you want me to pursue this.

The better alternative, in my view, is to follow up Ron's idea of getting a
test LDAP server, rather than a Windows domain server. Nottingham
University, as are all other .ac.uk domains are able to get a free server
hosted by JANET (virtually) by RM (physically). You have the choice of a
Linux or a Windows Server so I guess we'ld go for a LINUX one. Fire up the
LDAP server (I think it is either part of Apache or there is a 'plugin' for
this) and use this for testing. This is probably the easiest route if Julian
can persuade his IT department to apply to the JANET Help Desk for a Server
- in my experience it takes about two weeks before the whole thing is setup.

Kindest regards, Thomas