[Xerte-dev] page type tweaks & possibly new page types for Maths project...

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 15:38:15 GMT 2013

Hi all

my messages seem to be taking an age to get through to this list again not
sure why but anyway I'm hoping this gets through relatively quickly...

On behalf of JISC Techdis I've recently been supporting a Maths project and
those involved have been testing if XOT is suitable for what they want to
achieve. There is a mix of experience amongst the group but no real
developer skills etc

Prior to going on holiday last week I sent them some possible solutions to
interactions they were trying to achieve most of which involve wishing to
drag images to images etc I showed them how/where they could add img src etc
to load images where the page type only has text options but obviously this
is not ideal and doesn't fully suit their needs. Here's some examples of
this:

possible drag and drop solutions

http://vle.jisctechdis.ac.uk/xerte/play_html5_221

Patterns

http://vle.jisctechdis.ac.uk/xerte/play_html5_237

Timings

http://vle.jisctechdis.ac.uk/xerte/play_html5_241

The more recent example I received from them was the need for a coin
interaction attached and in advance of a f2f meeting yesterday I created a
quick demo of this via Xerte and uploaded as an rlm to xot:

coins interaction

http://vle.jisctechdis.ac.uk/xerte/play_262

Obviously that's Flash only, isn't a page type, isn't editable in xot etc
which brings me to the real point of this message:

The result of the f2f meeting yesterday is that they ideally want some
additional functionality developed and I think this is likely to fall into
two categories:

1. Adding additional options for adding images to existing page types e.g.
those that involve dragging and dropping

2. Creating 1 or more new page types tat allow creation of interactions
similar to the coins example

The end results must work via HTML 5 if not both Flash and HTML 5

I've said that I would discuss all this via the dev list first of all to see
what you think about changes to existing page types and also new page types
and just as importantly to check if any or all are interested in working on
this?

This isn't the first time the wish for drag and drop image to image etc has
cropped up and could result in additions to benefit all. BUT they need to
have developed and tested pilot content by June so it's a very short
timescale and although I'm involved I don't think I have the time or skills
to help them with this without extra help. They will pay for development but
the first step is to identify if anyone is interested in helping with this
and then at some point we will need to estimate time and costs etc.

What are your thoughts?

First point relevant to us all is would we agree to include additions to
current page types or new page types when there isn't yet parity between
existing Flash and HTML 5 etc? It's a non-starter if we don't.

Second point who's willing and able to help?

Contact me on or off list if you are interested.

Cheers