[Xerte-dev] Does XOT support multisite?

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Sun Jul 7 16:45:17 BST 2013

Really my question is: Is there ever more than 1 row in the sitedetails table? If not then i'm proposing that we change it to 'site_options' (not set on that name!!)... and make it similar to the 3 column options table in Wordpress... i'll explain...

We already have this sitedetails table which whenever we need to add a new option has to be ALTERed to include a new column, basically it's the wrong way round... also we have a mish mash of things in there, base64 encoded stuff, etc... Wordpress stores numbers/strings/objects/arrays/etc by serialising/unserialising them

Additionally we have the config table. I know it stores the database version for upgrade but couldn't this also be an 'option' of the site_options table?

Then there is the api... to make that work I need an api_keys table and an api_nonces table and then of course an api_options table, but I could theoretically store these in the options table...

Then there is the plugins... these were never fully explored but I will once I get time... but to do it properly we would really need to create an activate/deactivate controller and again some options for this would need stored...

Then there's Pat's extend code... probably as this builds we will need to keep track of things to make this work best...

I'm all for the upgrade path that we have just now backup-dropover-upgrade and upgrade can probably even handle this table migration. Also, i'm not even suggesting we do this for v2.1 as there's probably already enough to go in this for a end of summer (??) release but what does everyone think? Is it a good idea before we end up with lots of standalone options tables? Should we aim for v2.2??

And I know it will be a lot of work to get it right but mainly the loading of all the options currently takes place in config and still could...

Regards,

John Smith | Learning Technologist
Room A251, Govan Mbeki Building | School of Health & Life Sciences | Glasgow Caledonian University
Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0BA

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and Herald Society’s Education Initiative of the Year 2009.

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers of the Year 2010, GCU as a lead with Universities Scotland partners.
http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/bycategory/theuniversity/1/name,15691,en.html