[Xerte-dev] Re: Auto updater? Backup? Restore?

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 22:30:33 BST 2013

Hmmm... I know what your saying but perhaps not as easy to orchestrate when in installed in server root as when installed in a sub-folder that can be switched...

I'm sure it can be done in other ways though involving manifests and tracking/backing-up changed/added/deleted files...

This might be where Tom's script for building packages from svn could create a usable manifest of changes between Revisions and uswest that to build a sub-version...

I'll look at how the major players (wordpress/drupal/moodle/joomla) do it and feed back to the list...

Regards

John Smith
Learning Technologist
School of Health and Life Sciences

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SII

Julian Tenney <Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

when i weighed up how to upgrade our install, I wanted to be able to make a clean install, and then migrate the user data into it. Then I was sure I was running a clean 2.0. There were quite a lot of changed files, and structures, so installing over the top would have left a lot of litter, and we already had quite a lot left over from 1.7 - 1.8 - 1.9 upgrades, which were all over the top, with a bit of tweaking. Technically it was tricky because we were trying to run two installs sharing one install's settings, so paths didn't work, for example - so we had to take a plunge and switch it all over - we had established the main things were working though. I think it would be great if we could devise a process that went along that 'clean install but exissting data' road.