[Xerte-dev] Re: Using Wordpress code in XOT

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 15:24:00 GMT 2013

Hi Pat,

Well I’ve started writing some code for the api, mainly helper functions to process the request formats and return formats as I’ve not fully though through what methods I’d want or yours… but then I was thinking about whether we could (and how we could) absorb the data within XOT too…

Then I remembered a discussion I had with you (I think) about hooks and started writing some helpers (add_action/do_action etc) but obviously Wordpress already has that functionality. So I’ve instead included their whole plugins.php file…some plugin discovery and management code of my own and voila I have action and filter hooks all working in test and about 30 odd hook events wired up in my index.php file. Now I’m able to insert css/js into the head, change image urls, text (such as My Projects changed to Johnny’s Projects) within the page… but all from the plugin.

Obviously we could write our own library but the Wordpress plugin.php is so polished that it works flawlessly with a minimum of new xerte code… Obviously it needs more work but it will allow us to add widgets (I’m currently playing with the Wordpress widgets.php file too) which could show api data. Obviously if we go forward with this (that’s my question really) then I’d be looking at the best fit with your recent code but I think if we can use the Wordpress files “as is” then it saves a lot of work ironing out issues…

What do you think? Wasting my time or worth a go?

Regards,

John Smith
Learning Technologist
School of Health & Life Sciences