[Xerte-dev] Deeplinking and #Hashlinks

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 21:00:46 GMT 2013

So, something I have been pondering lately... and it was mentioned in a mail from an end user a few days to a week ago (sorry I forget who)...

Does anyone think that adding page #hashlinks into the html version is a good idea? We already have deep linking via pageID, linkID and page number but could we also use #hashlinks?

I currently have the hashlinks updating as we change page, e.g. http://localhost/XOT/preview_html5.php?template_id=2#page1 and deeplinking via hashlink but is it any good to anyone? It addresses a need for bookmarking your position in largeish LOs but then we have the issue of deeplinking via one of the initial 3 methods and subsequently generating a hashlink, i.e we bookmark the page http://localhost/XOT/preview_html5.php?template_id=2&page=3#page17 and come back to it... obviously we should go to page 17 but it makes the URL a bit strange...

Thoughts?

Regards,

John Smith | Learning Technologist
Room A251, Govan Mbeki Building | School of Health & Life Sciences | Glasgow Caledonian University
Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0BA

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and Herald Society’s Education Initiative of the Year 2009.

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers of the Year 2010, GCU as a lead with Universities Scotland partners.
http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/bycategory/theuniversity/1/name,15691,en.html