[Xerte-dev] Nomenclature

Mark Berthelemy mberthelemy at wyversolutions.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 16:55:22 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I'm just checking my understanding of some of the Xerte nomenclature:

Page type: A way of presenting a chunk of information or an interaction (eg. graphic + text, multi-choice question, hot spot graphic) - stored as an html file (for the output), and an XML description (for the editor) inside a template
Template: A package of page types and associated files designed for a specific purpose (eg. the Nottingham template for general elearning)
Module: A collection of templates presented in a particular way (eg. Xerte template = general elearning, Site template = Bootstrap website)

Some questions:

- I'm unclear on what the other templates inside the Xerte module are for, or why you'd need them?
- What's the difference between parent_templates and templates? In what way is one a parent?
- Can we rename the Nottingham template to something more meaningful - like SCORM-starter?
- Can we rename the Xerte module to something more meaningful - like SCORM?
- When would you plugin a module as opposed to a template?

If someone has already documented these structures, please could you point me in the right direction, to save reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Mark

--
Mark Berthelemy
Managing Director

Wyver Solutions Ltd | Company number: 5731173 Registered in England | Registered address: First Floor, 6 Bridge Street, Belper, Derbyshire, DE56 1AX