[Xerte-dev] Community Website

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 13:41:05 BST 2013

I have to say, I'm not sure the community web site is ready for public consumption. If I go there now, the links are all inconsistent and wrap badly, the login box isn't aligned, I couldn't find the downloads, and I'm just not very happy with the way it looks. When you navigate around the pages, the panels jump about. There is inconsistent typography in headings, margins, line breaks and font sizes, the resources page doesn't contain any resources, the resource panel is repeated on both the showcases and resources page, the FAQ page has styles all of its own and there's a ton other stuff: it's all just a bit of a mess if you ask me.

I'm not putting down the work that has gone into it, but I know we can do a lot better than this: it just doesn't feel finished, and it doesn't inspire me with confidence in the tools.

At the moment I would prefer to put v2.0 on the main Xerte web site and direct people there, and we can continue working on the community site now we've got this tranche of development work out of the way. We can re-visit the styling of the application as well at the same time, and make the two work together: Nuno applied the same set of styles to toolkits this week, and it didn't work very well.

So here's my recommendation: we put v2.0 on the Xerte site as we always have done (or link directly from there to Tom's zip, without letting the user see the community site if they follow the link from www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte>: they just get the downloaded zip). Then we properly finish the community site, and re-skin toolkits in the next batch of work.