[Xerte-dev] Export and first go at new way of Tracking

Tom Reijnders reijnders at tor.nl
Tue Apr 2 07:53:09 BST 2013

I've will commit several changes shortly.

- Be aware that I have changed the Engine, the preloader AND xenith.js!

1. Export

I implemented a first pass of the export. It's a first pass because
there are still discussions going on, on how to implement export. For
now I've added two checkboxes: Use HTML5 (checked by default) and Use
Flash (off by default).

  - If none is chosen, export creates an html5 object
  - If both are chosen, both are available, but no automatic failover
(index.htm for html5 and index_flash.htm for flash)
  - With any of the scorm packages only one engine will be exported with
a preference for html5.
  - I cleaned up a lot of file with respect to the javascript helper
functions that are needed by xmlEngine.swf. They are now in rlohelper.js.

2. SCORM

I implemented a new way of SCORM tracking in flash and in HTML5. For
now, it will track page visits. I will write up an article of the
design, and how you can add tracking to new pages (if you only want to
know if and for how long a page is visited, you don't need to do anything.)

- SCORM tracking is determined on export.
     a. If you export a Scorm2004 zip, you get full scorm 2004 tracking
     b. If you export a scorm 1.2 package, you et full Scorm 1.2 tracking
     c. If you export a deployment zip, you get no tracking

- The quiz tracking is broken for now. I'll fix that in the upcoming
week(s).

- I plan to add Tin Can tracking as well (but there are some challenges
to work out there...)

- In xenith.js, I changed the x_changePage() API function, in that it no
longer expects x_currentPage to be set to the correct value before
calling, but it expects the new value as a parameter.  In that way, I
have the old page (in x_currentPage) and the new page (in the parameter)
in that fuction, and I can handle all tracking in x_changePage. So to
move a page forward call x_changePage(x_currentPage+1); BEWARE that you
MUST NOT CHANGE x_currentPage here, so do NOT call
x_changePage(x_currentPage++).