[Xerte-dev] Re: 1.9 properties

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 14:33:38 GMT 2012

There was some useful (really) work from OSSWatch recently on Rogo (another application we develop here) around their openness rating: I looked at the things they had used to judge it, and applied them to Toolkits, and made a list of things we should do to make our project more 'open': the list is below. That includes things like roadmap, some other useful things as well. I want to work through this list and address as much of it as possible, I think that will drive some content to the community site. We already score quite well (about 60), though OSS watch would say we should try and score more than 80, and I think in general the things they point at are good sensible things we should do. OSSwatch are coming here tomorrow, so I'll probably add to this,

                  Xerte Rogo

Legal             65.52 75

Standards         68    73

Knowledge         46.3  13

Governance        56    16

Market            86.67 38

Openness Rating   59.65 ?

Average           64.5  43

Legal

Document project dependencies and audit license compatibility.

Consider and make explicit options for sub-licensing.

Clarify re-distribution of entire project under GPL3

Make licensing explicit. Add license headers to all source files.

Standards

Minimise reliance on closed proprietary standards. Flash player

Use standards ratified by standards bodies?

Use Project Management methodology, and have regular, predictable releases.

Identify and document a standards policy for the project.

Knowledge

Documentation: developer, installer, user.

Design documents

Define and Implement QA Process

Project roadmap

Machine readable meta-data?

Project Chat / IRC?

Make all decisions in a public environment

Provide alternative sources of the knowledge / archives / include in the SVN

Governance

Clear Leadership. Define the roles in the project and make them clear.

Make the structure and policies of the project clear: decision making process.

Document how to get involved in the project and behavioural guidelines for contributors.

Consider elected leadership?

Ensure contributors have rights to contribute.

Consistent, predictable release cycle and development iterations.

Provide translations of all the project documentation

Implement consistent development process, and how to contribute code.

Market

Increase number of organisations with rights to modify the code.

Increase number of 'paid for' contributors.