[Xerte-dev] FW: [Xerte] work in the engine ... help

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 14:19:25 GMT 2012

Same answer here as well.

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk [mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Kemp Johnathan
Sent: 29 October 2012 12:22
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] work in the engine ... help

Julian whilst you are talking about "work in the engine..."

Part of the recent discussion regarding the Connector page ID has been about what information we make available to support the author in the use of the page.

It seems to me that we have two possibly conflicting demands on Xerte / XOT
1.      Keep it simple
2.      Provide more complex page types e.g. Mapstraction, Connector Pages, to meet the demands of specific project needs, more experience users, learning technologists etc.
More features can be perceived as making a page type less intuitive or less simple to use. But much of this could be resolved if some simple help documentation could be made available to the page user, from the xwd form.

The current xwd forms are rather limited in the support you can provide from within the form.

Ron Mitchell sent me a sample project based on work carried out prior to the development of XOT which included support for help links either for each field or from an info tag. However there appear to be issues with the addressing of the files linked to depending whether you are in Xerte or XOT.

Ron wrote

At present in both XOT and Xerte we have the ability to access an image for a page type and a brief description. The engine manages the locating of these files, which are stored in specific folders in the project folder or XOT installation. Would it not be possible to utilise this same approach to open from the page's xwd a help file. If this was a pdf we could have a single file that could include graphics and text as well as links to sections of the document if required. Help files could be created in Open Office which is Open Source.