[Xerte-dev] Question about workflow when working with the Xerte branch code

Smith, John J.J.Smith at gcu.ac.uk
Sat Oct 20 16:25:56 BST 2012

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice here about how you all work on developing the trunk code.

I've only been working on the Xenith code so far, but have just checked it out and then copied to the webroot so that I can run it from localhost. However when it comes to XOT there's slightly more needs done to take care of permissions and possibly update to the database. Now I'm going to have xot installed on a server back in Glasgow but want to work on improving the code if required and this is where i'm wondering what other people do...

Do you check the source out of the SVN straight onto a server (or to a laptop/desktop to work on and copy from there to the server) and then what do you do each time you do this to make sure everything still runs? I'm assuming that most people will have a stable production server running the branch and then have a development one either on the same server or locally on a desktop/laptop - am I right?

Also, regarding desktop Xerte, what tools do I need to run/compile the source for this? Just Flex or anything else?

I'd rather get this right from the start so that I can spend more time developing rather than debugging my setup problems so any advice welcome!!

Regards,

John Smith | Learning Technologist
Room A251, Govan Mbeki Building | School of Health & Life Sciences | Glasgow Caledonian University
Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0BA

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and Herald Society’s Education Initiative of the Year 2009.

Winner: Times Higher Education’s Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers of the Year 2010, GCU as a lead with Universities Scotland partners.
http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/bycategory/theuniversity/1/name,15691,en.html