[Xerte-dev] Players and alternative formats

Pat Lockley patrick.lockley at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:43:16 GMT 2012

Hello all,

This is a message from deep inside modularisation caves so it might not
apply to all.

I have a semi working google maps making template, and when it "plays" at
present it draws a map using the google maps API.

However, the play could also generate a KML file for people to download, or
if the map couldn't load it could provide the data in a different way.

So then I thought this is effectively the HTML5 option (and you might argue
the xml download, export, scorm are also "plays").

So I was thinking that rather than using ctrl + click, or extra buttons,
you could facilitate an extra request variable consistently across modules.

Ergo you post a "HTML5" option at the URL and you get HTML5 back, you post
a "XML" and get xml, or "JSON" and get json.

This way the URL Library doesn't need to change all the time, or the
.htaccess, but you also get different plays for each module (and they are
all distinct).

Thoughts?

Pat