[Xerte-dev] Re: Start page/ deep linking

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 19:57:01 GMT 2012

Are there a range of slightly different things here?

I know there's code somewhere to allow an author to hold down shift when clicking play in the editor to jump straight to the selected icon - which presumably uses linkID in some way

and we also have a javascript call that can be added as a hyperlink to jump to a another page within an LO either by page title or pageID which is to change to linkID

But the way I expect the deep linking will be used is:

Both Authors and viewers can share a direct external link to a specific page by appending &page=x to the public url. e.g. a viewer see's an LO and thinks page 5 will be of interest to a colleague and can now send a direct link to that page

Authors will have access to see and append linkID=x to a specific page as a more reliable link e.g. will still work if page order is changed e.g. only authors will have access to the linkID's to be able to create specific links like this

both page=x and linkID=x make use of an oninitComplete function in the .rlt and xmlengine.swf and a getURLParam function in rloObject.js

I don't think play.php has any bearing on these methods of deeplinking apart from perhaps the cause of the links not working in IE via play.php even though they work when the LO is outside of play.php e.g. index.htm?page=x

Ideally we need play_html5.php to work in the same way e.g. a viewer can use play_html5.php?&page=x and an author can use play_html5.php?&linkID=x

HTH