[Xerte-dev] Proof of concept test

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Fri May 4 22:36:17 BST 2012

Hello Everyone,

I have been working (between beta version stuff) on a means of making it
possible to open a Xerte project at a specific page, rather than always
have them open at the title page.

Attached is a simple 3 page desktop Xerte project as a proof of concept.

Do not open it in Xerte (at least until you have finished testing it!) If
you publish the project, in Xerte, your local copy of rloObject.js will
overwrite the one in the project and the code that supports the redirection
will be lost.

Would you mind unzipping it and then opening index.htm in a web browser -
not Xerte.

For it to work you will need to set up the folder in which you place it as
a trusted location in the Flash player settings (otherwise javascript calls
will not work).

It should open at a title page.

Then add to the url in your browser

?pageID=menu

and press enter to reload the page.

After a short delay the project should redirect from the title page to the
menu page.

I have tested this in Firefox, IE8, and Opera.

If anyone has other browsers at their disposal I would be keen to know if
the redirection works. e.g. Chrome, Safari,

Should you examine the project the key stuff that makes it work is a
function at the end of rlsObject.js and some code running off the
onInitHandler interaction in the entry frame. Because rootIcon.pages.length
has not finished being built when the onInit event fires I have added a
timer to create a delay to allow time for the array to be built - hence the
delay before redirection takes place.

Should this prove reliable in your testing I believe the same approach
should be applicable to XOT (albeit using a different array to source the
page information)