[Xerte-dev] Re: Proxies

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Tue May 1 16:11:46 BST 2012

From: xerte-dev-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-dev-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of David Goodwin
Sent: 01 May 2012 15:19
To: For Xerte technical developers
Subject: [Xerte-dev] Re: Proxies

On 1 May 2012, at 15:06, Ron Mitchell wrote:

who knew! ;-)

me!

As this was a new install from svn code $development = true; is clearly the
current default.

Can I suggest that's changed to $development = false;

Make it so then :-)

--Have done so.

Likewise with the new authentication options I would suggest the default is
ldap rather than unauthenticated or if possible set to unauthenticated if
someone choose the simple xampp install option during set-up and ldap if
they choose the full install option. There's already examples of public
facing sites out there where they've simply renamed demo.php to index.php
and perhaps forgotten about that or not understood the implications.

Well, I/we can't win. but Static or Guest at least allow someone to quickly
get started.

--Just my opinion - previously people had to rename demo.txt to demo.php but
currently if they install on a production server the guest unauthenticated
access will be enabled by default. I guess we need to be clear about this in
the documentation which will need to be updated anyway. Probably need Julian
to decide what should be the default?

David - did you get my message about additions to the moodle integration
code? If so any suggested changes or shall I commit those two files?

I was thinking the auth object (Moodle.php, Ldap.php etc) should probably
have a setOptions(array($stuff)) method added. This would allow you to pass
in arbitrary things (e.g. for Moodle to specify roles) and so on - without
having to hack the class/file itself - i.e. your changes would be restricted
to config.php (which is what I'd expect/want)

I've not yet read your patches - feel free to merge them now however, I can
always reform the code to do what I've detailed above when I Get time.

--Have committed. But won't update the moodle integration readme until
finalised.

David.

Pale Purple Ltd.  (Company No: 5580814)

'Business Web Application Development and Training in PHP'

http://www.palepurple.co.uk

Office: 0845 0046746     Mobile: 07792380669

Follow us on Twitter: @PalePurpleLtd

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in
error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not
use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any
attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do
not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.