[Xerte-dev] Re: Desktop files developments - ready for testing

Tom Reijnders reijnders at tor.nl
Mon Mar 19 10:01:59 GMT 2012

Yes,

Ultimately, there will be one set. It is NOT needed, but VERY confusing
if we don't do that. I am willing to make sure we merge in the changes.

Furthermore, Jonathan, do you mind if I change the way you handled the
'You scored 2 out of 4' issue. For a translator it is MUCH easier to
have to translate 'You answered $C out of $T'. In the code you would
have to substitute $C and $T, and you have to explain users NOT to
change the $C and $T, but it is much more flexible and cleaner than the
way you do it now in my humble opinion.

I appreciate all your hard work, and this will give the Xerte
development by the community an enormous boost (I am convinced of that).
Given the fact that you/we CANNOT change the identifiers used in the xwd
(because that would absolutely break the current XOT LO's, the
translation is far for trivial.  You really have to know what you can
change and what NOT to touch. Your document explains that clearly. Also,
if we're not careful, we will re-introduce a maintenance nightmare, if
the xwd's of a translation get out of synch with the English ones.

My proposal is to have an helper website that will take the English
XWD's as master, and build a translation database from those. Than the
XWD's for the other languages will be generated from the English XWD and
the translation database. If all goes well, I've got something working
by the end of the day...