[Xerte-dev] Re: the 1.8 trunk merge

David Goodwin david at palepurple.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 17:11:17 GMT 2012

On 8 Mar 2012, at 17:06, Pat Lockley wrote:

> it relies on the PHP mail function working, what requirements that has
> I don't know, but on local host I get a sendmail something.

Ah. With a Linux box php will always call a local /usr/sbin/sendmail.

On Windows you must have an SMTP relay configured. You can set these settings through an ini_set call. I suspect most WAMP installs leave the php.ini values blank.

Where things get tricky is if you have a Linux server/vm which needs to relay through somewhere - as the mail() function will not support this - hence it's normally better to use something like Zend_Mail/SwiftMailer/etc. They also handle HTML email, character sets and attachments a lot better.

thanks,

David.

Pale Purple Ltd.  (Company No: 5580814)
'Business Web Application Development and Training in PHP'

http://www.palepurple.co.uk
Office: 0845 0046746     Mobile: 07792380669

Follow us on Twitter: @PalePurpleLtd