[Xerte-dev] Transcript Tool - some progress and some comments

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 7 16:59:38 BST 2012

I have now had a little time to play with the transcript tool that Fay
kindly made available the other week.

There are a few issues that I have run in to.

   1. The first flv file I tried was the "breakingUpChristmas.flv" file
   that I originally obtained from Nottingham, I think in a demonstration
   project. When I loaded this in the caption entry section expanded
   horizontally to fill the whole window making it impossible to access any of
   the video related buttons. However other flvs including an old one I had
   that I think was orginally generated in camstudio worked OK. I also tested
   an FLV generated using the latest version of camstudio which was converted
   to flv using XMedia Recode 3.0.8.1
   2. If you make the mistake of changing the video play mode to full
   screen and then reduce it back to its original size then the buttons
   disappear on the transcript tool.
   3. The Timed Transcript window does not allow the loading of transcript
   files.
   4. The package feature is not yet enabled.
   5. I had some inconsistencies when setting the position of captions to
   subtitle top or subtitle bottom, sometimes they failed to show up - I have
   not done enough testing to identify if this was specific to a particular
   flv file.

It would be nice to have the option to change the font size and typeface of
the captions.

Is it intended that once created a caption file could be subsequently
loaded into the Timed Transcript window and then edited in that window?
If so is any plan to include any error checking of the file once it has
been edited?

This is a great tool and I forward to when the packaging element will be
available (any idea when :-)