[Xerte-dev] Re: HTML 5 version

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 14:07:03 BST 2012

JW Player would probably be the prime candidate, yes. Sally has been using it, having reviewed pretty much everything else out there, and it does one very good thing in that we can encode to H.264 and it will play it natively if the browser supports, else failover to the JW Flash player to play it if not. Sally, again, after a lot of research reports that that combination covers 'enough' of the situations... and it will also cope with the existing flv content, and the failover will work for mp3 too.

I'd been perplexed about how we could handle just native html5 without having to have the user upload lots of different formats, which didn't seem ideal.