[Xerte-dev] Re: $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] issue

David Goodwin david at palepurple.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 13:46:34 GMT 2012

The HTTP_REFERRER variable is supplied by the user's browser when a request is made - so you can't really trust it.

And I suspect various anti-virus products may well block / remove it when requests are made in the name of privacy.

David.

On 26 Jan 2012, at 12:59, Julian Tenney wrote:

> Anyone got any bright ideas: when you set access to other, you can specify a domain to restrict access only to links being followed from that domain: so you can have some sort of gatekeeping in any system the user has to log in to, and then only allow access to links from that system.
>
> This is the code, it uses $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].
>
> It doesn’t work in IE. Cosmic.
>
> Any alternative approaches without having to modify the linking system?
>
> This is the code:

<snip>

Pale Purple Ltd.  (Company No: 5580814)
'Business Web Application Development and Training in PHP'

http://www.palepurple.co.uk
Office: 0845 0046746     Mobile: 07792380669

Follow us on Twitter: @PalePurpleLtd