[Xerte-dev] Re: Interactive Diagram Page (customHotspots.rlm)

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 1 19:32:24 GMT 2012

Thank you for figuring out what was wrong with the mcq part of the page.

If you check your model file you will find a couple of references to
"hotspotImage" that should be "customHotspots".

The format of the xwd newNode line with the inclusion of CDATA (shown in
blue) to receive the drawing information is different to most other xwd
files

<newNodes>
<customHotspots><![CDATA[<customHotspots name="Enter Page Title"
text="Enter text for the page here" highlightColour="0xFFFF00"
lineWidth="1" interactivity="Hotspots" showShapes="true">CDATA
</customHotspots>]]></customHotspots>
</newNodes>

Compared for example to the quiz page equivalent in which there is no CDATA
entry between the main block and the ending </quiz> tag.

<newNodes>
<quiz><![CDATA[<quiz name="Enter Quiz Title" order="random"
numQuestions="All" align="left" panelWidth="Medium" instructions="Provide
instructions here" judge="true" feedback="Provide feedback here"/>]]></quiz>
</newNodes>

I have performed tests, trying to remove the CDATA but it appears essential
for holding the drawing data.

However this in itself appears to be creating an issue in that the presence
of the CDATA entry prevents the addition of any child data items to the
page.

I have tried adding a child item and what happens in the display of the xwd
form is that the child item is preceded in the page structure display at
the left of the form by a prior entry which lists as

[type Function][type Function]

The child entry is displayed below this and the child data is displayed in
the form's right-hand panel. However on closing the form the information
for the child item is lost. If you re-order the sequence so that the child
item is above the [type Function][type Function] entry, then on closing the
form the child data is saved but the drawing data is lost.

Do you know of any way we could get around this so that a child item can be
added?

The page contains quite a number of display text that is built into the
model. e.g. "question 1 of 3", "Explore the diagram, click on the various
parts to learn more".
To internationalise the page I need to put this text in an author
modifiable format in the xwd form. I would prefer to have a newNode item
that could present a form for this data. There are to many entries to add
them to the main form without producing a very lengthy form. I know I can
just add the data items to the newNode line for the page but I want also to
allow the Author to be able to change the default values. I cannot make
them simply optional properties as they will all display in the main form
as soon as I include the default values in the newNodes line that creates
the page. Further I don't want the author to be able to delete the values.

Anyone any ideas how a child node could be added to this page?