[Xerte-dev] Possible Accessibility Issue in XoT 1.8

Thomas Rochford thomas.rochford at jiscadvance.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 22:09:43 GMT 2012

Good evening everyone,

I was running a training session today for some adult education teachers and
came across an interesting problem with 1.8. One of the delegates, whose
eyesight was poor, had set her laptop to use a rather larger font than
usual. When the Xerte Editor window opened up, the bottom part of the
window, including the 'Play' button, was off screen and completely
inaccessible. We worked around the problem by setting the browser
magnification option down to 90% but, of course, this also reduced the font
size, so although she found it usable for short period, she felt it would be
difficult to work for long at this resolution. The 'Title' also did not
resize correctly when the size was set to 'default', but worked fine with
'Fill Window' and 'Fill Screen'.

It occurs to me that the easiest way to fix this is to enable horizontal and
vertical scroll bars for the window. I have seen this problem with another
application called 'IrfanView' -  a free, and very powerful image editor,
when running it on a Sony Vaio with a strange screen size (wide but not very
high, like an HD screen is sometimes displayed). Is it too late to add
scroll bars to 1.9, if so, maybe it could go on the wish list.

I've also been experimenting with Unicode fonts and very obscure alphabets
(Cuneiform in my case). They do work, but only in the latest version of
Firefox. I don't think this is a major issue J but would like any thoughts
if anyone out there knows a bit about embedding Fonts, Unicode or otherwise.
Maybe I need to edit a .css file to add a new style now that
'face="CuneiformOB"' is no longer supported under HTML 5.

Kindest Regards,

Thomas

Thomas Rochford, e-Learning Advisor, JISC Regional Support Centre - Eastern

Tel: 07500 669002, 01223 564749

Eml: thomas.rochford at jiscadvance.ac.uk,

Skype: cambridge.serendipity

RSCs - Stimulating and Supporting Innovation in Learning

RSC Eastern welcomes feedback on our services via support at rsc-eastern.ac.uk

e-mail