[Xerte-dev] Current Issues - xwd forms

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 4 08:22:24 GMT 2012

Last night I discovered an issue with the Scenario and Hotspot Image
Connector xwd forms. I am hoping it is limited to just these two pages.

The symptoms are the form will display correctly until you display the
language settings and then some of the language sections are hidden or
partly hidden. It is as if the controls are there, the mouse icon responds
to their presence, by changing its icon, as you mouse over them, but they
don't display. If you reduce the height of text blocks higher up in the
form then more of the controls are revealed. In addition if the page has
child elements the click-able link to add a child element is not displayed.
This child element link will be displayed again if the language check box
is unticked.

I don't know if it is a bug in the code reading the xwd data or in the xwd
forms. The Quiz page has a lot of language data in it and some large text
blocks and it displays just fine which points to the problem being in the
xwd file. But simple editing out of lines of code so far is not proving
helpful. I have even copied lines of code from the Connector page to the
Quiz page and they have displayed fine in the Quiz.

The problem does not appear to affect the xml data generated for the page
so it would appear that the problem will only prevent authors from editing
the language settings.

If anyone wants to duplicate it the easiest way is to create a "pages" type
of project and add a quiz page and a connector hotspot page.

You can then go into the pages folder for the project where there will be a
folder for each page. This allows you to examine and edit and test changes
in the xwd file used for each page. In a pages project each page gets its
own copy of the xwd form file.

I am continuing to look into this but at present it is proving difficult to
track down.

I will continue to try to debug this one. Though will be unavailable for
some time this morning.

In the meantime if anyone has any bright ideas as to what might cause the
xwd reader code to respond in this way i.e. if you wanted to make it happen
what would you do to the xwd file? These ideas would be most welcome.

Also if anyone is testing the pages in XOT keep an eye out for any half
displayed fields in the language section of a form or for any missing
click-able add a child element links. Let me know if any other xwd forms
are affected.