[Xerte-dev] Simplification changes to the Connector pages

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 29 12:54:54 BST 2012

 I am re-visiting the Connector pages to fix a few bugs I found during
testing.

During this process I am removing all the "Display text" child elements and
putting their contents into the top level element with the language
attribute.
This should alleviate the concerns expressed regarding the "Display text".

I have also been giving further consideration to the navigation.

It seems to me that there are three potential navigation situations

   1. No navigation displayed (this would only apply to Connector pages,
   when the Author might want to restrict the learner to following one of the
   Connections)
   2. Limited navigation i.e. Only the Back and Next buttons (This might be
   considered appropriate for none-connector pages which form a section of a
   project between a Connector page and a Redirector Connector page. For
   example a series of pages that explain why a particular choice is correct
   or incorrect.
   3. Normal full navigation. This would apply to any other situation as
   well as being available as an option to both the above situations.

With the above in mind I am proposing to change the navigation settings in
the Forms for the Connector pages to significantly simplify the options
available.

I have attached my proposals in pdf format so that I can provide images of
the current situation with notes to indicate how this will change.

I welcome any comments about the changes discussed above.

Unless I receive feedback to the contrary I will start implementing these
changes on Wednesday May 2nd. (It will take a while longer before the
changes become visible in the XOT beta :-)

Hopefully this will alleviate most of the concerns that have been expressed
regarding the suitability of the Connector pages for use by your average
XOT user.