[Xerte-dev] Re: Goal

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 24 16:27:38 BST 2012

The issue is not just one of enabling a user to create extra entries within
the xwd.

To create a new page you have to supply the model as well. I know Ron
seemed happy to edit models in Xerte and test them in Toolkits but this
seems a clunky way of doing things.

For new system administrators they now have the ability to examine any page
in Xerte, to see its model structure and its xwd file. They can take any
page and load it into Xerte and then use it as a starting point for the
development of a new page. This can save lots of time and offers every page
as a worked example to facilitate learning about how Xerte works. This
development has significantly enhanced the potential for the use of Xerte
as a development platform

The only bit that needs then doing outside of Xerte is to use Flex builder
to do a search and replace for the xml object names in the xwd and rlm file
so that we have unique objects. That is very easy to do. If someone has
enough about them to create the new model and xwd then they can rename the
object titles.

With a fully tested xwd and rlm file available all that remains is to add
the xwd to the appropriate wizards folder and the rlm to the models folder
and then rebuild the template.xwd file by running Tom's script.

You could even provide a cut down version of Toolkits by removing any pages
you don't want to use. before building your template.xwd file.

So yes IMHO I think we have made a significant step forwards.

The biggest drawback to having customisable XOT installations is if they
are dependent on one central rlt file and xwd file. I don't know enough
about XOT to know how easy it is to offer a variety of different sets of
rlt and xwd files.