[Xerte-dev] Xerte 2.18 beta avalaible for download

Tom Reijnders reijnders at tor.nl
Thu Apr 12 21:06:54 BST 2012

L.S.,

We (Julian, Jonathan, me and several others) are pleased to bring you a
beta version of the new Xerte 2.18. Please see the preliminary release
notes by Jonathan for  a list of new things in this release.

Most of the work is done on unifying Xerte and XOT  templates and
internationalisation support.

A few notes:

- Only Jonathan and I have done some testing with this version. We
haven't taken the time to do thorough testing, because we would like you
to help us with that :-)
- The internationalisation support is not finished yet. Some things do
work already and Dutch pages are available to give you a feel for what
can be done (if you know how to decipher Dutch). I am working on
completing the translation of the wizard.
- I am working on integrating the pages into XOT, and provide language
files for the internationalized code Pat made available. I use
http://xertetrans.xerte.org.uk for that as well.

**** IMPORTANT ***

Almost all new features can be found in the Pages menu. The Page
templates could be made obsolete, but we have not done so.
If anyone has a good idea on nomenclature so we can prevent confusion
between working in Page Wizard/Native/Page Templates mode, please come
forward. I am afraid we added to the confusion.

**** Quick start guide ****

1. When you use Pages->Create Template Project From pages you basically
start a template based (XOT like) project that you fill completely
within the wizard, like the old Page Templates.

2. When starting Pages->Create new Page project, a project similar to
the old PageWizards is started, when you are on the 'Interface' icon,
you can add a new 'Page' to the project from the Pages menus. Each page
will expand it's full underlying structure, and (when not modified) can
be filled with the wizard. This makes the old PageWizards obsolete.

We did NOT change any functionality in the Templates menu.

You can download the beta installer here:
http://www.xerte.org.uk/beta/xerte_beta.exe

Have fun!