[Syrphidae] Sharing distributional data on hoverflies

Marija Miličić marija.milicic at dbe.uns.ac.rs
Wed Mar 15 11:06:35 GMT 2023

Dear colleagues,

As you might know, the team from Novi Sad is a part of the Horizon 2020
project Safeguard, aiming at safeguarding European pollinators, and one
of the tasks where we are participating is related with obtaining
distributional data of species.

In the previous effort, together with the colleagues working on bees, we
compiled a paper giving an overview of distribution of all bee and
hoverfly species across European countries (based primarily on data
compiled for the needs of the IUCN Red List of Hoveflies, StN, but also
expert opinion) in which many of you were involved. This paper is
currently under review.

However, we now want to go a step further, and produce another data
paper, where we would like to present exact data on species distribution
(with coordinates). Some of you already shared the data you had, but
this is a call to anyone who would like to contribute. So, if you have
your own databases you are willing to share, it would be great to have
as much as possible data. Of course, all people who provide the data
will be listed as co-authors of the paper that we plan to prepare (again
in collaboration with the colleagues working on bees).

Information that we would need would be: genus, species, date of
collection, country, nearest place, locality, coordinates (preferably in
decimal degrees), collector, data source (collected on the filed by
certain person, from a museum collection, extracted from particular
publication…). Of course, this is ideal case, if some of the data are
missing, that is also fine.

Please, do let me know if you are interested to take part in this work,
having in mind that Europe is striving towards Open Science, and this
would represent our contribution to those efforts.

Best wishes,

Marija

--
dr Marija Miličić