[Syrphidae] Timon-David Collection

Gabriel Neve gabriel.neve at imbe.fr
Wed Dec 20 12:27:34 GMT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication on-line of our paper on the
Timon-David collection of Syrphidae hosted at the Natural History Museum
of Marseille. In due course, the paper will hopefully appear in
Biodiversity Data Journal.

Link : https://preprints.arphahub.com/article/117543/element/8/18254//

Gabriel Neve, Xavier Lair, Thomas Lebard, Jean-Yves Meunier, Louis-Jean
Teste & Louise Séguinel

Hoverflies of the Timon-David collection (Diptera, Syrphidae)

Abstract :

Hoverflies are among the most important insect pollinators and there is
documented evidence of a recent decline in their populations. To trace
the past distributions of hoverfly species, verified records of
historical collections are essential.

Here we provide data on 1071 specimens of hoverflies collected or
received by Jean Timon-David and hosted at the Marseille Natural History
Museum, France. Most of the specimens were collected by Timon-David
himself and come from south-eastern France, mainly from the departments
of Bouches-du-Rhône, Var and Hautes-Alpes. Most of these specimens were
checked for the accuracy of their identification according to the latest
identification keys. This resulted in 85 additions to the known fauna of
the French departments, mostly for Var and Bouches-du-Rhône. The
taxonomy of all specimens was checked against the latest available
checklists, and updated names added whenever necessary. Specimens
received from entomologists working in other continents (Brazil, USA,
Colombia, Morocco, ...)  may also be valuable, as these are historic
testimonies of the fauna of their own respective regions of origin, and
may therefore also be used as reference material. One paratype specimen
from Australia is present in the collection. The holotype of /Cheilosia
vangaveri/ Timon-David, 1937 is absent from the collection and should be
considered as lost. All but two of the specimens with locality labels
had their geographical coordinates of origin added in the data set.

The data set is already accessible on-line at :

https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.10362020

Best wishes,

Gabriel

--

Gabriel Neve
Institut Méditerranéen de Biodiversité et d'Ecologie
gabriel.neve at imbe.fr
http://www.imbe.fr/~gneve