[Syrphidae] Re: Interesting question

Jeroen van Steenis j.van.steenis at xmsnet.nl
Tue Feb 1 12:22:09 GMT 2022

Dear Tamara

If you do not know anything, it might be a virus, a fungus or even a
mammal. So in this case it is not possible to describe this "life form".
If you only have DNA from a malaise trap sample or a water sample you might
narrow it down. For now only DNA is not allowed for a species description.
I already commented on a post on Researchgate on the DNA matter if we
should allow descriptions only based on DNA. It is not the DNA which makes
the specimens, it is the expression of its DNA making up all the parts of
the specimens and thus of its characters.

If you mean there is no information on where, when and by who it is
collected I do not know if this makes it impossible to publish.
I would advise not to but instead try to see if others could help in
finding where this specimen might have been collected and see to find
additional material.

Best wishes,

Jeroen