[Syrphidae] special issue of Studia dipterologica Supplement in honor of Dr F. Christian Thompson

Kurt Jordaens kjordaens2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:52:07 GMT 2021

*An Invitation to Contribute to the Special Issue of Studia dipterologica
Supplement in honor of Dr F. Christian Thompson (* 24 April 1944 - † 4
February 2021)*

Dear colleague,

It is our pleasure and privilege to serve as guest editors for a special
issue of the journal *Studia dipterologica Supplement* in honor of our
colleague Chris Thompson. The volume of Chris’s work and accomplishments
are inspiring and in fact difficult to capture. Suffice it to say that
Chris’ global knowledge of the Syrphidae fauna was immense and, amongst
numerous other scientific contributions, he has erected 28 new generic
names and 150 species within the family! In addition, Chris had a profound
effect on other things, including the promotion of databasing of museum
collections and establishing and maintaining the world database of
flies *Systema
Dipterorum*.

*Topics of Interest*

The special issue will be dedicated to highlight Chris’ contribution to the
study of Syrphidae, or other Diptera families.

Potential (but non-exclusive) topics will include:

1) overviews of Chris’ contribution to dipterology and/or syrphidology, or
of particular taxa and/or (bio)geographical areas;

2) species descriptions dedicated to Chris, hover fly species descriptions
/ revisions, previous and/or ongoing/unfinished collaborations with Chris,
etc.;

3) literature overview of Chris’ work;

4) historical overview of *Systema Dipterorum* or the influence of *Systema
Dipterorum* in current work.

If choosing to contribute, please submit a brief summary (maximum 5 lines,
including estimated length of article including plates) for pre-review by
the guest editors before April 15, 2021. Contributions will not be accepted
without pre-submission approval (guest editors want to avoid duplication of
content).

Apart from the scientific contributions we also offer the possibility to
share short stories and memories on your collaboration with Chris, as well
as pictures of Chris (*e*.*g*., at conferences, ISS). We will compile all
stories, memories and pictures into one chapter of the special issue.
Please provide a caption for each picture and add a photo credit.

We also welcome pictures of hoverfly species (imagoes, larvae, pupae etc.)
described by Chris which we will compile in plates and that will be
published in the special issue as well. Please provide a caption for each
picture and add a photo credit to each picture.

*Submission Guidelines*

You may consult the journal’s website for more information on the journal:
http://www.studia-dipt.de/index.html

Manuscripts should be submitted electronically at: paragoides at gmail.com

Author guidelines are the same as for *Studia dipterologica* and may be
consulted in the following pdf http://www.studia-dipt.de/authorse.pdf or on
the journal’s website http://www.studia-dipt.de/instruce.htm

Submissions must neither have been submitted nor published elsewhere. All
the manuscripts submitted to this special issue will be peer-reviewed and
selected in accordance with the journal standards.

Contributions are free-of-charge. Each author will receive to 4 copies of
the entire volume free of charge (hard-cover; printed in color), plus a
free pdf of her/his article 3 months after the publication. Co-authors will
receive 2 copies of the entire book.

*Timeline*

Expression of interest: April 15, 2021

Submission due date: August 31, 2021

Final decision notification: October 31, 2021

Publication date (tentative): December 2021 or  January 2022

*Guest Editors*

Dr  Kurt Jordaens

Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium

E-mail: kurt.jordaens at africamuseum.be

Dr Jeffrey Skevington

Canadian National Collections of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes, Ottawa,
Canada

E-mail: jhskevington at gmail.com

Dr Ximo Mengual

Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig, Bonn, Germany

E-mail: x.mengual at leibniz-zfmk.de <X.Mengual at zfmk.de>

Thank you very much for your time and consideration in this matter. We
would appreciate it if you could let us know at your earliest convenience
(kindly before April 15, 2021) whether or not you will be submitting a
paper. We are looking forward to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

Guest editors: Kurt Jordaens, Jeff Skevington and Ximo Mengual

--

*Kurt Jordaens*

Department of Biology - Invertebrates

*ROYAL MUSEUM FOR CENTRAL AFRICA*

LEUVENSESTEENWEG 13, B-3080 TERVUREN

M +32 (0)489 73 76 74

T +32 (0)2 769 53 73

KURT.JORDAENS at AFRICAMUSEUM.BE

WWW.AFRICAMUSEUM.BE

P  Before printing, think about the environment