[Syrphidae] Re: larva

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 08:36:56 BST 2021

hi Nobby

The larva seems to  be an eristaline but we need a picture of the whole larva, really. The "smaller kind of tubes" are the extruded anal "gills" that are usually held within the rectum, and are almost certainly involved in active ionic exchanges. If we could see them all, together with any lappets at the end of the body (base of the 'tail') and the anterior spiracles clearly (they are there but very out of focus) then we might stand a chance of identifying it.

Best wishes

Francis