[Syrphidae] genera gender list and database storage

Bastiaan bwakkie at syrphidae.com
Fri Jan 1 13:59:44 GMT 2021

Hi all,

Happy new year (for whom it may concern ;-)

A new years question:

I am looking for a list of all genera with there gender. Or is there a
general rule I can interpret it from the genus name?

I like to keep only protonym (original combination) intact plus the +
specific name without the gender part in the database so I never have to
change it again. Then I will link them to their current accepted parent.
Based of the parent 'genus' name gender I can create the current
accepted name.

I guess from what I understood so far is that the subgenus name does not
effect the specific name? Like in Leucozona laternaria?

As example where the specific_name changes:

Musca fasciolata  --> Chrysotoxum fasciolatum
Musca laternarius --> Leucozona (Ischyrosyrphus) laternaria

In Systema Dipterorum for example all of the four above mentioned names
are stored. (and this on their turn slipped down into different websites
gbif inaturalist etc.)

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Bastiaan