[Syrphidae] Re: Male genitalia rotation

Jeroen van Steenis j.van.steenis at xmsnet.nl
Mon Feb 15 11:53:40 GMT 2021

Dear All

There is some interesting reading in Reemer et al 2009. De Nederlandse
Zweefvliegen'' in which the species Criorhina asilica is known to have both
copulating positions, head-to-head and tail-to-tail. In Volucella bombylans
there is another position, belly-to-belly adjacent to the head-to-head. So
the rotation of the genitalia does not imply there is a fixed position in
these species, and possibly this accounts for more Syrphidae.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jeroen